Conjoint Analysis Overview
Conjoint Analysis is a technique used to assess the relative importance individuals place on different features of a given product. A conjoint study usually involves showing respondents a set of features and asking them to indicate how much they like or prefer the different attributes of that feature.
In Qualtrics, you can add a self-explicated conjoint to your survey. In this model, the respondents are asked “direct” questions about the desirability of a particular list of products and profiles.
Setting Up a Conjoint
- On the gray navigation bar, click on the Advanced Options drop-down and select Conjoint.
- Click Add a Conjoint.
- Optionally, read through the conjoint description, and then click Next to create your conjoint.
- In the top text box, type a name for your conjoint.
- In the bottom text box, enter what you would like your Data Export Tag to be.
The Data Export Tag will be used to help you identify which fields in your final data set relate to your conjoint.
- Set up your Features and the Potential Attributes / Levels for each feature.
- To add a feature, type the name of the feature in the Feature text box and then click Add.
- To remove a feature, select a feature in the Feature list and click Delete.
- To add attributes or levels to a feature, select the feature in the Feature list, click in the Potential Attributes / Levels box, and type in the attributes or levels you want to include.
- To allow participants to eliminate attributes/levels for a feature, clear the box for Do NOT allow level elimination for this feature under the Features text box.
- Click the Question Text – 1 tab and review the question text and instructions used. Make any changes you prefer.
- Instructions for elimination of feature levels: Displays if “Do NOT allow level
elimination for this feature” is not selected for any features.
- Instructions for select most and least preferred levels: Always displayed, this is the question text asking users to select the Least Preferred attribute and Most Preferred attribute for the listed attributes/levels for each feature.
- Instruction text for evaluating “preference” of levels not most or least preferred: Always displayed after “Instructions for select most and least preferred levels.” This question then asks (using a 0-10 scale) about all remaining attributes that were not the least or most preferred on the previous question.
- Click Question Text – 2 tab and review the instruction text used. Make any changes you prefer.
- Instruction text for measuring importance using the Constant Sum question: This is the question text for the Constant Sum question displaying at the end of the conjoint if Feature Importance Constant Sum is selected on the Conjoint Options tab.
- Instruction text for measuring upgrade desirability using the Constant Sum Question: This is the question text for the Constant Sum question displaying at the end of the conjoint if Desirability Upgrade Constant Sum is selected on the Conjoint Options tab.
- Click the Conjoint Options tab to make any changes as needed.
- Click Save.
- Click Survey Flow and place the Conjoint element in the correct position in the survey flow. Click Save Flow when finished.
- Conjoint data does not display in the View Reports area, so data must be downloaded from the Download Data page and analyzed in an external application.
- Once your Conjoint is in the correct location, we recommend you click Survey Preview and test out your survey with the Conjoint in place.